Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jute Loopy Flower Tutorial

 
Hi everyone.  Bonnie from Really Reasonable Ribbon here today with a tutorial for an easy Jute Loopy Flower embellishment.  It can by used for many different crafty applications and although I love it made with jute string, you can use a variety of different cords and ribbons and get lots of great looks.
 
 
I first saw this loopy flower on a blog feed from one of my favorite blogs Stamp Talk with Tosh.  I get tons of great ideas and inspirations from her blog and if you have not visited, you really should!!  Tosha was kind enough to give me her blessing on sharing my take on how to create one of these gorgeous flowers.  I urge you to take a look at Tosha's beautiful card and jute flower that inspired mine.  More great news is that Tosha has agreed to be our guest designer for April.  I can't wait!!
 
Here is a closer look at the flower.
 
 
Loopy Jute Flower Tutorial
 
Supplies:
Jute String or narrow ribbon or twine of your choice
Scissors
Hot Glue Gun
Buttons for the center
1" circle of heavy duty card stock
 
 
Cut twelve 2-1/4" pieces and eight 2" pieces of Natural Jute String. Set aside.
 
Begin by covering your 1" cardstock circle with ScorTape.  If you don't have 1" wide ScorTape, you can use multiple strips of a narrower width to cover the circle.  I just fold the overhang up and over as shown below.  Now if you don't have ScorTape and you play nice with your glue gun, I suppose you can use that too.  I have a love/hate relationship with my glue gun, so the tape is the far better option for me.
 
 
Begin placing 4 loops on to the sticky circle as shown below.  The ScorTape is super sticky, so just press it down well and it won't go anywhere.
 
 
Then fill in with two more pieces in each opening....
 
 
until the first round is complete.
 
 
Here I added another layer of ScorTape.  Press it down well with your fingers or a bone folder and peel the paper off to expose the adhesive.
 
 
Now for the second round I staggered the pieces and began as last time with 4 pieces - top, bottom and both sides.
 
 
Now add one additional piece in between each of the first 4 pieces.
 
 
Now I add a big glob of hot glue.  I want to make sure some hot glue seeps down and touches the ends of each piece for extra security. I will also adhere my button or whatever embellishment I have for the center at the same time.  I had already prepared my button stack and tied the little bow made from Cotton Candy Baker's Twine.
 
 
 Now I'm the type of girl who colors in the lines, measures everything (twice!) and has to have everything line up neat and tidy.  That's just how I roll!!  That being said, this flower looks fantastic when it's made in a more random fashion too.  No need to measure out your loops or put exactly 12 on the first row and 8 on the second row.  Play around with it and see what you like.
 
And here is my finished flower.
 
 
Here are a few more I made.  The one on the top left is made using Variegated Pastel Hemp.  This makes a beautiful and more delicate flower. 
 
The top right and bottom left are made with 1/8" Grosgrain
 
The bottom right is made with Pink Jute String.
 
 
I did add one extra step of adhering the ends together for each piece using hot glue when using the 1/8" grosgrain.
 
 
It's hard to see, but I mounted this flower onto a ribbon lined Alligator Clip for a pretty Spring or Summer hair clip.
 
 
And this pretty flower was added to one of my Chevron Headbands. 
In case you missed the tutorial for the Chevron Headbands, you can find it HERE.
 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you'll give this project a try.
 
I would love if you would share your creations on the RRR Facebook Page.
 
~ Bonnie ~
 
Card Details:
Ribbon/Twine:  Really Reasonable Ribbon
Stamped Sentiment:  Just Rite Stampers
Ink:  Brilliance Pearlescent Ivy
Adhesive: Scor-Tape
Paper:  Cardstock and Design Paper:  Recollections
Other:  Embossing folder from Cuttlebug and Dies from Spellbinders
 

17 comments :

  1. Such adorable flowers. Thanks for the tutorial!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial Bonnie. These flowers look fantastic in all the variations you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the jute loopys! All the flowers look fabby!!
    Hugs
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow thank you for this tutorial your creations are stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your take on the loopy flowers Bonnie!! And what a fabulous idea to use the Scor-Tape!! Less messy than hot glue, and faster than liquid glue. I love all the different variations you created too. Awesome tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these Bonnie! They make adorable cottage flowers. I need to break out my scor-tape again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Love the headbands and hair clip too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOOO CUTE!!!!!!! :) THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you make it look so easy! I think I need to pin this! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these, Bonnie. Thanks for the tutorial.

    Tina
    aurathentic@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie,

    This tutorial is amazing!!! Thank you so so much, you are a very skilled teacher. I am so glad I have seen this and cannot wait for my ScorTape order to come in so I can try this out.
    I really appreciate how precise your directions are...making it easy to follow. Although my crafting friends know I am super dangerous with the glue gun!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are beautiful!! TFS.
    Great tutorial.
    D-
    http://designsbydragonfly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous tutorial!! LOVE LOVE Tosh -- she is one internet friend I have actually been able to meet in real life. So excited she will be our guest for April! Beautiful work, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this card and tutorial. Can't wait to try it out : ) Huggs G

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab tutorial, thanks for sharing. Cheers Di

    ReplyDelete
  16. On the one u did three layers what was the measurements for the smallest loops? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, this post was from way back in 2013 and honestly, I don’t even remember. Based on the measurements of the one with two layers, I’m going to say I probably just did another 1/4” shorter. But experiment and see what looks good to you. I actually love this flower and now I think I’ll have to do another post with a similar flower soon. Thanks for bringing this back to my attention. So glad you stopped by the blog and happy crafting!

      Delete

We'd love to hear what you have to say